Sunday 12 June 2011

Door cards colour change

The door cards are in excellent condition. In one sense it's a shame to pull them off and change the colour. But brown....

After much googling, I determined the VHT vinyl colour dye was the best option - picked some up from Autobarn. I pulled the cards, removed every detail, scrubbed with a scourer and detergent, hit it with some wax and grease remover, and set them up in my garage. A few light coats of the VHT spray and the difference was amazing!
I hope the VHT spray is long lasting - but I did a quick test first. My daughter has a vinyl booster seat which I use in the Prius. I used the VHT spray a couple of weeks ago to change it to white. The coverage was excellent, and her bum rubbing on it has so far not had any impact on the colour. The door cards won't have a particularly hard life, so I hope all goes well.

I also tried using iDye Poly in a saucepan on the stove to change the colour of the plastic bits. It resulted in a sticky mess that took ages to clean. The electric window parts changed colour pretty well, but are a bit chalky. The other bits just went darker brown and sticky. So, I suppose I'll order black replacements from eBay. Final door card looks amazing (factory!)

No comments:

Post a Comment