Thursday 16 June 2011

Dashboard solution

Like many (most?) 924/944s, my car has a cracked dash.  I looked at a stack of options to try and bring it back to a pristine finish - ranging from carpet (poor solution methinks) and ABS caps (can look dodgy) through to sanding and manually reskinning with a flexible filler, texture and paint (SMC type things).  In the end I had to concede I wasn't going to get an original looking finish, so a customised solution was the only option.

I've decided to order the Classic 9 leather dash kit.  Robert Budd was super fast at replying to my questions, and is currently making up my new dash (black leather with black stitching).


Although the leather texture won't match the original finish, I'm sure I'll forgive myself every time I see a lovely stitched leather dash in front of me...

My main concern with taking on the covering job myself was getting a neat job around the demist vent area.  Fortunately, Robert machines a new metal strip to cover the demister vents making the installation much easier.  The kit was US$520 including delivery and should be here in a couple of weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment